Autism Week Post 1: What is Autism?

Autism is a developmental disease that effects social behaviors, cognitive, and communication functions. There are different levels on the Autism spectrum that range from mild to severe. Some of the signs are listed below:

  1. No eye contact or smiling
  2. No attempting to speak or babbling
  3. Does not respond to his or her name
  4. Makes repeated gestures
  5. A questions to ask yourself if your child hitting some of the recommended milestones. (Keep in mind every child is different and may meet milestones at different times)

These are just a few signs, please talk to your  child's doctor if you are concerned. If you think your child has Autism there is a screening process. The screening process may be different for every state, I am not sure. But were I live.They have the parents complete a questionnaire, they interact with the child in their home environment, and then at the school location. I was notified by phone and giving several options to help assist my son. We choose the school program.

For me this is a personal subject because my little guy was diagnosis with Autism last year. And for me it was not a shock, their was no eye contact, there where times when he was very excited about something but unable to show it, and he was unable to communicate with me. So for us getting him started in a school program was the best decision we have a ever made. I have seen the light of my child. He smiles at me, laughs, sings, dances, and he can say I Love You!!! Never has any words every sounded so sweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview and Giveaway with Melissa McClone (ends 5/3/17)

Spotlight on Archangel Series (Giveaway: *Signed Copy of Archangel's Enigma*)

Author Interview:The Highwayman's Bride by Jane Beckenham