Sleep as a child you never wanted to do, and as an adult you can never get enough off. So the question of the day is are you getting ...
Million Dollar Question: Are you getting enough sleep!!!!
Sleep as a child you never wanted to do, and as an adult you can never get enough off. So the question of the day is are you getting enough sleep you be the judge. Take a week and write down what time you get up and what time you go to sleep in a little note pad by your bed This will help you really judge if you are getting enough sleep to rejuvenate your body. So your thinking what does she mean? Well, let's talk about what happens to your body if you are not getting enough sleep
Effects of not getting enough sleep on your brain:
- Effects brain function
- Effects your ability to learn and remember new things
- Effects your attention span
- Has been linked to depression
- Could effect your decision making skills
- Effect your ability to control your emotions
Next we will move on to how sleep effects your body:
- Can increase your risk of disease such as high blood pressure, stoke, and obesity
- Can effect your hormone levels and blood sugar
- Effects your immune system which needs sleep to help protect our bodies
Below is a chart of the recommended sleep time for all ages, when compiling information to gauge if you are getting enough sleep you can use this as a reference.
|Age||Recommended Amount of Sleep|
|Newborns||16–18 hours a day|
|Preschool-aged children||11–12 hours a day|
|School-aged children||At least 10 hours a day|
|Teens||9–10 hours a day|
|Adults (including the elderly)||7–8 hours a day|
So what are your next steps if you conclude that you are not getting enough sleep. Keep reading for some tips on how to improve your sleep quality. First you want to find out how much sleep your body needs to be properly rested and functioning for the next day. To do that follow the routine listed above in regards to sleep hours. Below are a few tips to help you along the way:
- Have a set time to turn off all electronic devices (phones, tablets, TV)
- Have a bedtime routine (this will help your body whine down and signal your brain that it is time to sleep)
- Make sure the temperature in your room is right for sleep conditions ( if you are too hot or too cold you could be waking up during the night and disturbing your sleep patterns)
- Use soothing sounds (they have thunderstorm's, rain, and an assortment of sounds) You can use them on your phone or tablet and set them on a timer.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Problem Sleepiness